Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Are most black women so homophobic that they think most black men are on the "Down Low"?

Here is an interesting blog discussion i found on yahoo....

I wonder if because of the culture shock of the "Down Low" in black culture, that many black women have become homophobic enough to think if a black guy doesn't act like the stereotypical thug or tough guy the media portrays, that he must be on the Down Low.

Especially after Oprah who brought this up on her show a while back. I see Black TV shows like "Girl friends" making jokes about guys being on the Down Low. Enough to the point that I've started to wonder if black women look so hard for it, that they discrinimate black guys by not dating them if they even look different than the media-stereotypical black guy.

I remember one show where a black girl was looking for a date, saw a guy standing at a bar in the club, & simply because he was dressed too nice, she ruled him out as a penis sitter. She then went out with the most thugged out dude there.

Is this the message we're sending black people? That a guy must look, sound, and act like a convict to been seen as a straight man?

Additional Details

2 months agoTab H - Exactly. I've been thinking that same thing for a long time for the same reason. It's funny to me that I'm a short light skinned black guy, which in black culture your considered weak, or unmanly unless your tall and dark. Yet, it's usually the big tall dark thuggish dudes who would act real gay when no girls are looking. (Not all ofcourse, not trying to discriminate)

2 months ago Omode Osun & Gigglebox - This is one reason why I married a girl from a different culture. Most black women have so many problems with black men already, and yet they add another problem by even thinking your gay/bi if you don't act like a convict idiot as well. Not all black women of course, but a lot.

2 months ago Rabbit - I got my information from life experience of seeing it happen to many guys in real life and portrayed in the media. I didn't make this up. Also, you should be happy that you aren't like many black women, that you actually date guys because of who they are and not how stereotypical they seem. In my experience in living around and dating black women, they really do usually date the stereotypical black guy portrays in the media. One of my ex's is engaged to one knowing full well he's a piece of trash in every way. Again, I'm not making this up, I've experienced it.

I think this discussion subverts its focus on women's homophobia and highlights the pressures on black males to conform to the conventions of a real man, which provides a basis for an explanation on why the black society, males in particular are so content on being pro-male, promoting their masculinity and condemning homosexuals and homosexuality.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061114083344AACLP5u

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home